Saturday, November 29, 2008

Something's Wrong

I don't understand.
The mob screams BUYBUYBUY and of course, we do. We heed that call.
They chanted "push the doors in" and trampled a man to death. To death.
But I can't really feel okay saying "they". It places the blame on the one group, rather than all of us. And it is all of us.
That one Long Island Wal-Mart was not the only place where violence broke out. All across the the country, people were--are--willing to hurt others for something so trivial as a holiday sale.
It could have happened anywhere.
Which is frightening and sickening and wrong.
And then it's sensationalized: "Check out pictures of the chaotic scene," the photo gallery blurb reads. Like it's something we should ogle. Or check out.
What I want to know is: Why?
Whywhywhy.

I can't really express all this. I feel tangled.

1 comment:

Medeia said...

It is really awful how materialistic this society is. And not only that, but maddeningly egocentric as well. There are some things that leave me without words and only able to make frustrated mrarrrrrrgllllfllrrgle noises. This is most definitely one of them.