Friday, September 26, 2008

Fire within me! Water around me! Air above me! Earth below me! Forest before me!

So. I've pretty much always been a nerd. Even when I was say, eight, and watched bad television, it was nerdy bad television. Recently, one particular show has been haunting me. I could remember the general premise, some of the characters, and the fact that it was a lot like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers except even more on crack plus in Ireland (sort of) and with faeries; but I couldn't remember what it was called.
Thanks to the wonders of Wikipedia, though, I was able to find out its name:The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. Behold the glory...


Classy, no?
Indeed. I had very good taste.
I remember thinking that Deirdre was made of uberawesome and being totally frustrated that her element wasn't water.

Another example of my impeccable taste... When I was in kindergarten, I was absolutely infatuated with a series of books called The Jewel Kingdom.

Classic literature. No doubt about it.

I think I wanted to be the emerald princess. Or maybe the ruby one. Possibly both. But not the diamond one or the sapphire one. They were the boring ones, as far as I can remember. Whereas Roxanne the Ruby Princess and Emily the Emerald Princess were TOTALLY BADASS!


So basically, in case you had any doubt whatsoever, I always was and continue to be ridiculously, utterly and inescapably cool.
Period. The end.

Self-deprecating humor-having-ly, nerdily, nostalgically yours...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so exceedingly happy you posted. Also, that made me laugh. I, too, had now-cringeworthy taste in the past (Goosebumps, anyone? The Anne of Green Gables cartoon show?).

Rae said...

But I must add that I also had some very good taste.
I mean...
Sesame Street?
Kratt's Creatures (before it became freakin' Zoboomafoo, that is)?
Bill Nye the Science Guy?
Reading Rainbow?

Best (children's) shows ever of life.
Without a doubt.

Rae

Rae said...

Though admittedly, all those awesome shows were part of my young-er-than-when-I-watched-The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog life.

Does that mean that my taste deteriorated with age? Ugh. I shudder at the very thought.

But who knows? After all, I still have a soft spot for Mystic Knights and the like.

Anonymous said...

My childhood was mostly empty of age-appropriate entertainment.
I watched Yellow Submarine almost every day though.
I was obsessed with Gumby too.
And The Borrowers. Anyone ever read those books?

Anonymous said...

Did the Borrowers ever give stuff back? Or did they just steal stuff and call it borrowing? I forget.

Anonymous said...

anonymous: They most probably had every intention of bringing it back, but somehow never got around to actually returning it.

Oh, by the way - hi, Raechel!