Monday, September 29, 2008

Must be the sign on my head that says oh... love me dead!

So here I am burning my tongue on Dr. McDougall's vegan minestrone soup. And I think to myself: I think I just my be skilled enough to blog whilst burning my tongue.
And so I shall. About what, you ask? Music. Why? Because I love it/can/wantosothere.
What follows is a review. Yep. They may just pop up once in a while.


Band: Ludo
Album: You're Awful, I Love You
Ludo sounds a bit like some atypical frat boys discovered pop rock of the likes of Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, and My Chemical Romance. They liked it well enough, but thought: we can do better.
So they learned to play instruments and sing and do all those things that bands seem to do. This led to the creation of a sound that is bouncy and energetic, with some roughness around the edges. Which makes it a perfect soundtrack for room cleaning/staying awake while walking to school/dancing instead of studying/being a badass.*

The lead singer and primary songwriter, Andrew Volpe has that slightly-whiny-yet-endearing-and-somehow-not-really-annoying tone to his voice that seems to be a staple in the world of cool male bands. A few of their songs (namely Please and Such as it Ends) dabble primarily in the realm of typical pop-rock. Most other tracks, however, carry the quirkycreepyodd gene that makes their music so ridiculously appealing. Such deviations from the norm include (radio hit) Love Me Dead, Go Getter Greg, The Horror of Our Love, and Drunken Lament (all of which will likely appear on my Top 25 Most Played list relatively soon). Ultimately, their lyrics are made of a lot of awesome... because quirkycreepyodd is definitely one of my favorite flavors.

Top of the figurative pile!

* but that could just be because I like having as many opportunities as I possibly can to use the word "badass"

3 comments:

B. said...

It sounds more like Linkin Park, actually. Their good songs with singing, not screaming. And they're good (Ludo, but also Linkin Park).

Rae said...

YAY!
I'm glad you like them.

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to get that album...only seen the video for Love Me Dead about 80 million times this summer.

Here's where I edited out an unnessicarily cruel (but possibly funny) comment about Linkin Park, who are okay but not a personal favorite.